Outstanding Performance Awards
The IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society offers awards for EMBS student clubs and chapters demonstrating outstanding performance in promoting interest and involvement in biomedical engineering.
- One EMBS student club/chapter will be recognized annually with an Outstanding Performance Award and a monetary award of USD $500. In addition, financial support (up to $1000) will be provided for one representative of this club/chapter to attend the EMBS annual conference. This club/chapter will also be featured in the EMB Magazine.
- One new EMBS student club/chapter will be recognized annually with a Best New Student Club or Branch Chapter Award and a monetary award of USD $300 for activities organized in the first 12 months of club/chapter formation. In addition, financial support (up to $1000) will be provided for one representative of this club/chapter to attend the EMBS annual conference. This club/chapter will also be featured in the EMB Magazine.
All officially recognized EMBS clubs and chapters are eligible to apply, but only clubs or chapters formed at most 12 months previous to the application deadline can be considered for the Best New Student Club or Branch Chapter Award.
How to Apply
To apply for these awards, EMBS student clubs/chapters should send a completed application and the supporting documents and send to EMBS Executive Director. In completing the application, clubs/chapters should highlight:
- activities demonstrating initiative, innovation, and creativity,
- areas of progress and improvement,
- significant impact in biomedical engineering education, and
- contributions to the profession.
Have a look at the 2015 EMBS Student Club & Chapter Award Brochure.
Only activities during the preceding year will be considered. Where the significant effort has been put into planning an event that will be held after the application deadline, details of the plans in progress should still be included.
Applications must be typed and in English, and supporting materials should be translated (provided on-line, see further instructions). Please include the name of your student club/chapter at the top of each page of the application and a page number at the bottom. Submit the maximum of FOUR sheets – including the application page, and attachments for Parts 2, 4 and 5 – by post. Any additional attachments will be discarded. Font size should be no less than 10. See the following page for further instructions.
Applications will be reviewed and decisions made by the EMBS Student Activities Committee. If no suitable applications are received, no awards will be given. You may wish to keep an additional copy of your completed application for your club/chapter’s future reference.
The focus is on the requisite letter of justification and the activities web page (respectively worth approximately 40% and 60% of the evaluation). Letters will be compared subjectively. Web pages will be assessed by IEEE Student Branch Web Site Contest rules (Student Resources, Website Contest, Judging Criteria). The judging criteria include points for website content (i.e., activities described), navigability, originality, overall presentation, portability and load time.
Completed applications must be received no later than 26 February 2017 at email@example.com.
For further information, please contact:
EMBS Executive Office
Telephone: +1 732 465 6460
Fax: +1 732 465 6435
The EMBS Student Activities HALL OF FAME
EMBS sponsors local activities worldwide through its Chapters for both Students and Members. Annually we acknowledge and recognize those Chapters/Clubs whose activities embody best practices for the Society and its Members. Please join us in congratulating the following Chapters/Clubs for their excellence in providing outstanding services to their local Members. For more information, see Outstanding Performance Awards.
The 2015 Winners are:
EMBS Best New Student Branch Chapter or Club Award
IEEE EMBS Student Branch Chapter Munich, Germany website
EMBS Outstanding Student Branch Chapter or Club Award
IEEE EMBS Student Branch Chapter at Ramaiash Institute of Technology (MSRIT), India website
Want to see your Chapter/Club on this prestigious Hall of Fame? Act today!