This special edition comprises 10 papers selected from over 2000 submissions at the 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC’14). Based on the novelty and merits of their work as well as their presentation at EMBC’14, the authors of 14 papers were individually approached and invited to submit an extended version of their work to the IEEE JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL AND HEALTH INFORMATICS. These were then further peer-reviewed and 10 papers have been eventually accepted for inclusion in this special edition. These papers present highlights of EMBC’14 in the field of biomedical and health informatics.
- Guest Editorial EMBC 2014 – Besio et al.
- Regulatory Elements in Low-Methylated Regions Predict Directional Change of Gene Expression – Hu et al.
- The Effects of Cell Asynchrony on Gene Expression Levels: Analysis and Application to Plasmodium Falciparum – Zhao et al.
- Representing Variability and Transmural Differences in a Model of Human Heart Failure – Elshrif et al.
- Modeling of an Optimized Electrostimulative Hip Revision System Under Consideration of Uncertainty in the Conductivity of Bone Tissue – Schmidt et al.
- Estimation of Respiratory Rate From Photoplethysmographic Imaging Videos Compared to Pulse Oximetry – Karlen et al.
- Posture and Activity Recognition and Energy Expenditure Estimation in a Wearable Platform – Sazonov et al.
- Covariation of Depressive Mood and Spontaneous Physical Activity in Major Depressive Disorder: Toward Continuous Monitoring of Depressive Mood – Kim, J. et al.
- Assessment and Classification of Early-Stage Multiple Sclerosis With Inertial Sensors: Comparison Against Clinical Measures of Disease State – Greene et al.
- Automatic Localization of the Anterior Commissure, Posterior Commissure, and Midsagittal Plane in MRI Scans using Regression Forests – Liu et al.
- Anatomically Informed Metrics for Connectivity-Based Cortical Parcellation From Diffusion MRI – Tungaraza et al.