IEEE EMBS Senior Member
Applying for Senior Membership is quick and easy and should only take a few minutes of your time!!!!
Senior Member is the highest grade for which IEEE members can apply. IEEE members can self-nominate, or be nominated for Senior Member grade.
How to become a Senior Member
The following procedure outlines the recommended steps to guide you through the Senior Member Application process.
Complete and Submit Your Application Form:
Electronic forms, instructions, and other details can be found HERE
Submit Your Resume or CV:
Although a resume is not a strict requirement to be considered for Senior Member grade, it is strongly recommended that you provide one. The resume will assist the Review Panel members in ascertaining that you meet the requirements for Senior Member. In particular, your resume should highlight those areas of your experience that go towards meeting the requirement for 5 years of Significant Performance. Resumes should also include the relevant dates of your professional and educational experience. Dates are important in order to determine that you do, in fact, have the required ten years of professional experience and/or 5 years of Significant Performance.
To be eligible for application or nomination, candidates must:
- Be engineers, scientists, educators, technical executives, or originators in IEEE-designated fields (See below)
- IEEE-designated fields
- Computer sciences and information technology
- Physical sciences
- Biological and medical sciences
- Technical communications, education, management, law, and policy
- Have experience reflecting professional maturity
- Have been in professional practice for at least ten years
- Educational Experience CAN be counted as Professional Experience, see instructions for details
- Show significant performance over a period of at least five of their years in professional practice
- Candidates for Senior Member grade must supply three references from current IEEE members holding the grade of Fellow, Senior Member, or Honorary Member.
If you have difficulty in locating Senior members or Fellows to serve as references, you can click here for assistance.
Benefits of Senior Membership
- Recognition: The professional recognition of your peers for technical and professional excellence.
- Senior member plaque: Since January 1999, all newly elevated Senior members have received an engraved Senior Member plaque to be proudly displayed for colleagues, clients, and employers to see. The plaque, an attractive fine wood with bronze engraving, is sent within six to eight weeks after elevation.
- Complimentary Society Voucher: You may use this voucher to join one new IEEE Society.
- Letter of commendation: A letter of commendation will be sent to your employer on the achievement of the Senior member grade (upon the request of the newly elected Senior member).
- Announcements: Announcement of elevation can be made in section/society and/or local newsletters, newspapers, and notices.
- Leadership Eligibility: Senior members are eligible to hold executive IEEE volunteer positions.
- Ability to refer other candidates: Senior members can serve as a reference for other applicants for senior membership.
- Review Panel: Senior members are invited to be on the panel to review senior member applications.
Questions or Concerns?
Email email@example.com if you need assistance obtaining references or have any questions or concerns about the process.
Do you know someone you would like to nominate as a Senior Member? Nominate a Senior Member now by clicking here.
2021 Review Panel Dates and Locations
20 February 2021 – (VIRTUAL)
17 April 2021 – (TBD)
26 June 2021 – (TBD)
14 August 202 – (TBD)
2 October 2021 – (TBD)
20 November 2021 – (TBD)