Distinguished Lecturers Program
The IEEE EMBS Distinguished Lecturers Program provides high quality speakers to EMBS Chapters, Student Branch Chapters and Student Clubs. Speakers are chosen by the Distinguished Lecturer Program Committee, who recruits from the international community and industry to keep members on the cutting edge of trends and developments in biomedical engineering.
Review the current list of Distinguished Lecturers and their specialties.
Nominate a Distinguished Lecturer
We are no longer accepting Distinguished Lecturers Nominations, please check back in 2014 for when nominations will be accepted.
EMBS funding is available only to EMBS Chapters, EMBS Student Branch Chapters and EMBS Student Clubs. Matching funds of up to $500 for clubs and up to $1000 for chapters are available to those Chapters/Clubs interested in hosting a Distinguished Lecturer event. The matching ratio is 2:1, with EMBS providing up to twice the amount raised from some other source. A limited amount of funding is available, so please get your requests in early.
Where EMBS funding is sought to support a Distinguished Lecturer for a particular meeting, the following procedures should be carried out:
- The hosting club or chapter should first approach a Distinguished Lecturer informally to determine their general availability on the dates of interest, indicating that the booking is subject to funding. [optional]
- Contact and arrange a program date with the Distinguished Lecturer only after funding has been finalized.
Eligibility and Acknowledgement
EMBS funding is available only to EMBS Chapters, EMBS Student Branch Chapters and EMBS Student Clubs and must be acknowledged at the event in the following manner:
- The EMBS chapter that receives the DL funding must acknowledge/announce that the speaker is an EMBS DL.
- The EMBS chapter must also acknowledge/announce the DL funding received (e.g. "This seminar was sponsored by the EMBS Distinguished Lecturers Program").
- The EMBS chapter that receives the DL funding is expected to provide membership application forms to the attendees at the DL funded activity.
For the most part, EMBS funding will not be available to support the attendance of Distinguished Lecturers as Keynote Speakers at EMBS or non-EMBS Conferences. The EMBS Conference Committee does, however, have a small amount of funding available for technical sponsorship (or co-sponsorship) of EMBS Keynote Speakers at Conferences where it is determined this will help promote the international profile of the EMBS.
Hosting a Distinguished Lecturer is Easy
- Decide which lecturer you'd like to invite and check their travel schedule on the website.
- Estimate the expenses involved. You will be able to apply for up to $500 (clubs) or $1000 (chapters) from EMBS, but you will have to find matching funds. Good sources are your Department, a local BME Company or IEEE Section.
- Invite the DL to visit your school.
- Book a room for the talk.
- Find out what kinds of A/V equipment the speaker will need and reserve it.
- Publicize the talk. Emails, posters and announcements by professors in class are all effective.
- Confirm arrangements with the DL and provide them with maps of your campus, etc.
- Make sure you have somebody to introduce and thank the lecturer.
- Complete the DL Claim Form and send it to the EMBS Executive Office with expense receipts and the report of the event for reimbursement. Download the Distinguished Lecturer Claim Form in Word format.